One of my New Year’s resolutions was to get more cooking at home, especially healthier food. Being the foodie that I am, I wanted to be more adventurous in the kitchen and try new recipes, so I decided to introduce a new category on the blog, The Kitchen Counter, where I will share all the recipes that I tested and loved!
Today’s recipe is very simple. I wanted to kick off with something easy, quick and healthy, so I decided to make my own granola. On the path of adopting healthy food habits, I have been searching for the best granola brand and mix for so long but the ones I’d found so far were all very expensive. I knew that one of my baddest habits was not to eat breakfast and granola was the quickest and healthiest option I thought about. Although granola is very simple to make, I wanted to make something a little less traditional than what you find in the supermarket, as I would eat it for breakfast regularly – and there’s nothing worst than a boring breakfast to start the day! So when I discovered video recipes on YouTube showing how to make homemade granola, I went back to the supermarket but this time, I bought every ingredient in bulk to make my own mix. I also checked the different ingredients featured in my favorite granola mixes to get inspired on how I could combine and play with flavors.
My favorite granola was a mixture of sweetened nuts, cranberries and dark chocolate. I decided to try out this recipe and I was very happy with the result. This was my first experience ever making granola and I am very pleased with the results. I will try more combinations for sure!
- ☁ 200g old fashioned (or rolled) oats
- ☁ 100g raw pumpkin seeds
- ☁ 100g sliced almonds (or any raw nuts)
- ☁ 80-100g dried cranberries (or other fruits)
- ☁ 2-3 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- ☁ 2 tbsp canola oil or coconut oil
- Preheat your oven at 300°F (150°C). It's important to cook the granola on a low heat.
- In a bowl, mix the rolled oats with the raw seeds and nuts of your choice. Add honey and oil and mix well together until everything is properly combined and coated with the liquid ingredients.
- Put your mixture on a large baking tray with parchment paper on, and spread into a thin even layer.
- Let it cook for about 35-40 minutes or until it's deliciously golden brown. Make sure to give it a toss every 10 minutes so that everything cooks evenly.
- When out of the oven, add in the dried cranberries or fruits to your granola.
- ☁ Bonus: you can add chopped dark chocolate at the very end if you want, just before storing your granola in your mason jars.
- ☁ Enjoy with some milk or yogurt and you're good to go! I personally eat mine with some fresh fruits on top like sliced nectarines and raspberries! (yummy)